Children's Rights - information for professionals

Children's Rights support children and young people in receiving help, advice and support. The following services can all be accessed through a referral.


Children and young people's advocate

An advocate is a professional who can support a child or young person to have a voice in issues and decisions about their life and their care. This is a short term intervention.

The advocacy that Children’s Rights provide is 'situational' and 'instructed'. This means that we are a short term service dedicated to resolving issues for children either through a complaint, advocating for them in a meeting or situation. We advocate for any child who is a Child in Need, subject to a Child Protection plan or in care. 

Children and young people can refer themselves using the link below. We also offer advocacy for children who’s placements have broken down and children who are planned to return to their parent's care.

Children with disabilities

We now have an advocate for children who have a disability that stops them from giving instructions or for children who find verbal communication challenging.

Independent Visitors

Independent Visitors are volunteers who are matched with a child or young person in care, who have little or no contact with birth parents. The child or young person and volunteer are matched based upon common interests, hobbies and personality.

Each volunteer is matched with one child or young person which enables a valuable and trusting relationship to be formed over time. Visits are generally once a fortnight for a couple of hours. It is anticipated that this match will continue, if possible, until the young person reaches 21 years of age.

All volunteers receive training and supervision, as well as signing an agreement on expectations.

Please complete our referral form to request an Independent Visitor for a young person.

Make an Independent Visitor referral 


Through participation young people in care can get involved in interview panels, complete campaigns and commission services.

How do I request a service from Children's Rights?

You can request support for a child or young person, or ask a question using the online form below. Please be clear what the specific situation is for an advocate to help resolve it:

Request support